She's the best selling author of "Cozy Culinary Mysteries" and "Blackberry Pie Murder" is her latest book. Joanne Fluke joins Real Milwaukee to tell us all about it.
Blue Apple Muffins
From BLACKBERRY PIE MURDER by Joanne Fluke
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F., rack in the middle position
The Muffin Batter:
- 3/4 cup melted butter (1 and 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces)
- 1 cup white (granulated) sugar
- 2 beaten eggs (just whip them up in a glass with a fork)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (no need to thaw if they’re frozen)
- 2 cups plus one Tablespoon flour (no need to sift – pack it down in the cup when you measure it)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup apple pie filling (I used Comstock)
The Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup softened butter (1/2 stick)
Grease the bottoms only of a 12-cup muffin pan (or line the cups with double cupcake papers – that’s what I do at The Cookie Jar.) Melt the butter. Mix in the sugar. Add the beaten eggs, baking powder, and salt. Mix it all up thoroughly.
Put one Tablespoon of flour in a plastic food storage bag with your cup of fresh or frozen blueberries. Shake it gently to coat the blueberries and leave them in the bag on the counter for now.
Add half of the remaining two cups of flour to your bowl and mix it in with half of the milk. Then add the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. Mix thoroughly.
Put the contents of the can of apple pie filling in a bowl and chop up the apples with a sharp knife. (You will want some apple pieces in each muffin so the pieces have to be fairly small.) Measure out 1/2 cup of pie filling and add it to your muffin batter. Stir it in thoroughly.