Did you know it's National Burger Month? The Beef Lady joins FOX6 WakeUp to make some Caribbean-style burgers with a delicious mango salsa.
Caribbean Beef Burgers with Mango Salsa
- 1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 large mango, peeled, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Combine ground beef and jerk seasoning in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 3/4-inch thick patties.
Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 13 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 13 to 14 minutes), until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Season with salt, as desired.
Meanwhile, combine salsa ingredients in medium bowl, mixing lightly. Serve burgers with salsa. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information per serving, using 80% lean ground beef: 374 calories; 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat); 116 mg cholesterol; 517 mg sodium; 8 g carbohydrate; 0.8 g fiber; 33 g protein; 6.8 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 3.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.3 mg iron; 27.7 mcg selenium; 8 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.
Mushroom Merlot Burger
1 pound Ground Beef (95% lean)2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley1/8 teaspoon salt1/8 teaspoon pepper4 large portobello mushrooms4 slices French bread, cut diagonally 1/2 inch thick2 ounces goat cheese (1/2 cup)4 romaine lettuce leavesChopped fresh parsley (optional)Sauce:1 teaspoon olive oil2 tablespoons minced shallots1 cup Merlot or other dry red wine1/4 cup ready-to-serve beef broth2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped1 tablespoon butter2 teaspoons all-purpose flour1/4 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon pepper
- To prepare sauce, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add shallots; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes or until caramelized. Stir in wine, broth and thyme. Cook over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Combine butter and flour; whisk into sauce. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover; keep warm.
- Combine Ground Beef, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Set aside.
- Place mushrooms on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; grill, uncovered, 16 to 18 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. About 10 minutes before mushrooms are done, move mushrooms to outer edge of grid. Place patties on center of the grid; grill 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Place bread slices on grid; grill until toasted, turning once.
- Reheat sauce, if necessary. Spread 1/2 of cheese on toasted bread slices. Top each with lettuce leaf, mushroom and burger; drizzle evenly with sauce. Crumble remaining goat cheese over tops; sprinkle with parsley, as desired.Recipe and photo as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.