Unattended cooking: Firefighters battle kitchen fire at home in Fond du Lac

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FOND DU LAC (WITI) — Fond du Lac firefighters were on the scene of a kitchen fire on Wednesday, May 28th — at 74 East Merrill Avenue.

Upon arrival, firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire in the rear of the structure.

The fire was extinguished and was contained to the kitchen area.

The fire produced heavy damage to the kitchen and the cause was unattended cooking on the stove top.

There is no damage estimate available at this time.

There were no injuries reported.

The Fond du Lac Police Department assisted with traffic and scene control.

Alliant Energy was called to cut power and gas to the building.

The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the residents of the home.

Firefighters will be canvassing the surrounding area on Thursday — passing out home fire safety information to all nearby residents.