Two units uninhabitable: Fire damages condominium building in Fond du Lac
FOND DU LAC (WITI) — Fond du Lac Fire officials say a fire on Wednesday, June 4th caused extensive damage to the basement of a condominium building.
It happened just after 3:30 p.m.
Fond du Lac Fire officials responded to a report of heavy black smoke coming from 61 University Avenue.
Fire crews searched and found a fire in the basement of the unit — which was part of an eight-unit condominium.
The fire was extinguished, but not before it caused extensive damage to the basement at 61 University and some smoke damage to other units.
Two units were deemed uninhabitable and the Red Cross was assisting those displaced.
Fire officials say the fire appears to be unintentional. It’s believed to have started in the basement and was electrical in nature.
“First arriving fire crews were able to quickly locate the seat of the fire and kept it from spreading beyond the basement,” said fire chief Peter O’Leary. “All residents were able to safely exit their units and there were no injuries.”
The Fond du Lac Fire Department called in off-duty personnel along with activation the (MABAS) Mutual Aid Box Alarm System which brought in several neighboring fire department to assist on-scene and to provide coverage throughout the city.