Sword attack: Man dies in stabbing incident, one in custody

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WATERTOWN (WITI) — A 29-year-old Watertown man was arrested and is being held at the Jefferson County jail on charges of first degree intentional homicide and first degree reckless injury in connection with a stabbing incident that occurred at the boarding house on the second floor of Yanger’s Bar in Watertown.

According to officials, on Thursday, June 19th, the Watertown Police Department was called by a 24-year-old man living in an apartment at Yanger’s Bar. The caller reported that a man on the second floor was attacking someone with a sword.

The caller reported being injured on the hand by the sword-yielding man, but that a second victim on the second floor was more seriously injured.

Upon police arrival, a suspect was found at the top of a stairwell leading to the second floor.

Initial Watertown police officers on scene spoke to the suspect, who refused to surrender. The Watertown police Entry Team was called to the scene along with a trained department Negotiator to speak with the suspect. The Negotiator was able to get the suspect to cooperate — and the suspect surrendered himself to officers on scene.

Watertown police officers located the second seriously injured victim in a room on the second floor. The second victim was identified as a 27- year-old male resident of Yanger’s boarding house. His injuries included stab wounds and lacerations, and he was critically injured when discovered by police.

Both injured victims were transported to UW Health Partners – Watertown Regional Medical Center by the Watertown Fire Department for treatment.

The 24-year-old victim with the hand injury received medical treatment and was released. The 27-year-old victim was treated, but ultimately died as a result of the injuries received in the attack.

The Watertown Police are continuing their investigation into the attacks.

Investigators obtained a search warrant for the suspect’s room and recovered two sword-type weapons, along with additional items of evidence.



  • opinin8d

    They probably should have shot the suspect right away if they were aware of someone in need of medical attention. Maybe he could have survived!

  • Rachel

    Fox 6 News…can you please explain why you noted on your facebook page “WOW!” A 29 year…
    What is WOW! about it? This is such a sad story in so many ways and you begin the story with WOW? You are really pathetic.

Comments are closed.