Fond du Lac house fire: Alert neighbor spots smoke coming from second floor window, calls 911

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

House fire on E. Cotton (Credit: Fond du Lac Fire)

FOND DU LAC (WITI) — The Fond du Lac Fire Department responded to a reported house fire on E. Cotton Street early Wednesday morning, June 25th.

According to officials, a neighbor noticed smoke coming from a second floor window and called 911.

When police arrived, they saw smoke coming from the residence and checked to see if anyone was home.

Fire crews arrived quickly and made an initial interior attack.

Authorities say the bulk of the fire was near a dishwasher and some of the structure surrounding it on the first floor.

After further investigation it is believed that an electrical issue inside the home is what may have caused the fire.

As a precaution, Alliant Energy secured both electrical and gas services.

The residents were not home at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.

“The alert neighbor who witnessed seeing smoke coming from the house probably prevented a much more devastating outcome”, said fire chief Peter O’Leary.