Hub for reliable, timely news about COVID-19 pandemic

Fond du Lac apartment fire has fire chief warning folks to extinguish smoking materials

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FOND DU LAC (WITI) — Fond du Lac firefighters were called out to an apartment fire on Thursday afternoon, January 1st.

It happened at a home on N. Berger Parkway.

On arrival, fire crews found a small fire burning outside a first floor unit.  The fire burned through the outer wall and began to burn part of the interior structure in the basement.

The fire was quickly extinguished and the building was ventilated.  Building smoke alarms activated and alerted residents who all escaped without injury.  No residents were displaced.

The cause of the fire appears to have been from improperly discarded smoking materials.

“It’s really imperative that smokers extinguish cigarettes completely in a manner which will eliminate the possibility of them causing a fire. Today’s fire could have had a much different outcome if not for the quick notification to the fire department,” Fire Chief Peter O’Leary said.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.