Trial underway for Jamey Jackson, second man charged in shooting that killed Sierra Guyton

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Jamey Jackson

MILWAUKEE (WITI) — He’s one of two charged in connection with the shooting death of 10-year-old Sierra Guyton. The trial for 29-year-old Jamey Jackson began Monday, February 2nd.

Sierra Guyton

Sierra Guyton

Jackson is charged with one felony count of possession of a firearm by a felon.

Prosecutors say Jackson was involved in a shootout with Sylvester Lewis near 28th and Clarke in May of 2014. Sierra Guyton was caught in the crossfire — shot in the head as she played on the playground at her school.

Guyton was pronounced dead at Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin on July 13th.

19-year-old Sylvester Lewis has been sentenced to 44 years in prison — convicted of three felonies, including one count of first degree reckless homicide.

He was interviewed by police regarding the incident shortly after it happened.

Lewis told police he was in the area of 28th and Clarke because he was going to a school in the area to visit someone — according to the criminal complaint.

Lewis admitted to police he was armed with a 9mm handgun that was loaded with several .380 cartridges. He told police that as he rode up to the playground, he saw five men sitting on some steps that led to the playground. Lewis said one of the men confronted him about stealing his “baby momma’s kids’ clothes.”

Lewis told police he saw Jackson stand up and back away — and noticed that he was “upping” a gun. He told police he got off his bike and moved into the middle of the street — when Jackson pointed a gun at him and threatened to kill him.

Sylvester Lewis

Sylvester Lewis

Lewis drew his own gun as a shot “went past his ear,” the complaint says. Then, Lewis began firing his gun. He told police he fired eight times toward Jackson and the playground.

After the shooting incident, Lewis told police he went to a friend’s house and changed this clothing.

He then went to the south side of Milwaukee where sold the handgun for $250 — and spent the night at 46th and Lisbon to evade police, according to the complaint.

Prior to this incident, police had arrested Lewis 15 times, and he was a convicted felon.

A witness attended a line-up and picked out Jamey Jackson as the second man involved in this case.

Jamey Jackson was convicted of killing a teenager in 2003. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison and eight years of extended supervision.

Jackson’s trial continues Tuesday, February 3rd.

CLICK HERE for further coverage of this case via


Comments are closed.