SENTENCED: One of three charged in shooting death of 48-year-old Matthew Glassford

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE COUNTY (WITI) — One of three people charged in connection with the shooting death of a 48-year-old man has reached a plea deal in the case against him.

Corren Mattox

Corren Mattox

22-year-old Corren Mattox pleaded guilty to a felony murder charge. On Thursday, February 19th, he was sentenced to 14 years in prison and 10 years of extended supervision, with credit for 310 days served.

23-year-old Terry Blunt has pleaded guilty to a felony murder charge. He was remanded into custody following his plea hearing, and he’ll be sentenced on April 16th.

The shooting occurred on April 8th, 2014 near 6th and Concordia — and it was one of five separate shooting incidents that occurred on this night in Milwaukee. 48-year-old Matthew Glassford died at the scene.

The other charged in the case is 21-year-old Davontay Ballinger. A doctor’s report has been ordered for Davontay Ballinger. He has a court hearing scheduled for March 3rd.

Terry Blunt

Terry Blunt

A criminal complaint in the case says officers were dispatched to the area of 6th and Concordia on the night of April 8th, where they found Matthew Glassford suffering from a gunshot wound.

Milwaukee Fire officials arrived on scene and pronounced Glassford dead.

A Medical Examiner determined the cause of death to be two gunshot wounds to the chest and back. The manner of death was ruled a homicide.

Investigators interviewed Mattox, who told them on the night of April 8th, he, along with Ballinger and Blunt were hanging out in the area of 6th and Concordia, when they observed the victim of the shooting, whom Mattox told officials Terry Blunt knew as “Matt.”

Davontay Ballinger

Davontay Ballinger


Blunt told Mattox and Ballinger that “Matt” buys pills from Blunt’s father, and that “Matt” would likely have money on him, police say. Mattox told investigators the three decided to rob “Matt” and divide the proceeds.

Then, Mattox told investigators Mattox told Blunt where he had hidden a .22 caliber rifle, according to police.

The complaint says Blunt obtained that rifle and placed it in his sleeve. The three then walked toward “Matt” who was standing on the sidewalk in front of 546 W. Concordia Ave.

Police say “Matt” ran onto the porch, and Blunt “pursued” Matt. Mattox told investigators Blunt pointed the firearm toward “Matt” while demanding property — specifically saying “Where the money at?”

“Matt” said he didn’t have any money, and began banging on the door to the residence.

That’s when police say Blunt shot “Matt” once — causing him to lean over the banister. Blunt then shot Matt a second time, causing him to fall onto the floor of the porch, police say.

Blunt, Ballinger and Mattox then fled the scene.

Investigators interviewed Ballinger, who, according to the complaint, said it was Blunt’s idea to rob the victim in this case. Ballinger told police he and Mattox agreed to act as lookouts while Blunt committed the armed robbery.

Investigators interviewed Ballinger’s sister, who said she had a conversation with Blunt the day after the shooting, and said he told her he needed to get out of town because he had “popped” someone.

When investigators talked with Blunt, he blamed the shooting on Mattox — saying he himself agreed to act as a lookout, and was promised money in return, according to the complaint.

Blunt was convicted of armed robbery in June of 2010.

Related stories: