WAUWATOSA (WITI) — 911 calls have been released following a house fire in Wauwatosa that killed a three-year-old girl and sent a man to the hospital with serious burns.
It happened on Sunday, February 22nd at a home on N. 106th Street.
Three-year-old Faith Cruz died in the fire.
“She loved to dance and cook and sing. She was a happy baby. Very smart,” said Carlos Cruz, still inconsolable about losing his only daughter.
Faith’s mother, Jean Haas says she’s now experiencing the worst pain she’s ever felt.
“I had three miscarriages before her, so she was a blessing. My little angel,” said Haas.
Faith and her uncle were inside the home at the time the fire broke out. It is little comfort, but Haas says her daughter was not in pain during her final moments of life.
“I talked to the coroner. He said Faith probably did not suffer. Her carbon monoxide level was like 46. She probably just fell asleep,” said Haas.
Haas believes the fire started in the basement of the home. She wants answers, but the only other person inside the building was her brother.
“He burned 30 percent of his body and has tubes down his throat. I have a little bit of anger because in my mind, I think fire — everybody out the house. I’m thinking he should have grabbed Faith and left the house. Maybe he was trapped. Maybe he couldn’t get her. But they found him on the porch,” Haas said.
While fire officials try to get answers to her questions, Haas is remembering her young daughter.
“She was my world. Everything was Faith. I look at it as, I’m a believer in God and I feel like maybe he needed her for something,” Haas said.
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner’s Office says Faith’s death appears to be related to smoke inhalation or products of combustion.
A GoFundMe page has been established to help the family pay for Faith’s funeral.
- “She was a blessing, my little angel:” Mother grieves her daughter, who died in house fire
- Three-year-old child dead, man hospitalized after fire breaks out at home in Wauwatosa