Chemicals used to remove tiling mix and spark fire in Brown Deer home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BROWN DEER (WITI) -- North Shore firefighters battled a fire in the basement of a house on Fountain Ave. in Brown Deer Tuesday afternoon, April 14th.

Firefighters were called out to the home just after 1:30 p.m. The resident was able to get out of the home okay -- and immediately called 911.

Officials say the owners of the home had recently moved in -- and were in the process of removing some tile from the basement. The owner was apparently utilizing chemicals intended for the job. But officials say somehow they ignited and sparked the fire.

Firefighters encountered a significant amount of smoke coming from multiple sides of the home. The call had to be upgraded to bring additional resources to the scene.

Upon entering the home, the crews were met by heavy smoke conditions. After advancing further into the
basement, they also encountered high eat and zero visibility. They were quickly able to locate the fire and
bring it under control.

Investigators from North Shore Fire/Rescue in cooperation with Brown Deer Police Department worked
collectively to investigate the cause and origin of the fire. It is believed that fumes from a solvent being used
clean and remove flooring in the basement were ignited by an unknown heat source, sparking the fire.

There is extensive fire, smoke and water damage to the basement of the home as well as smoke damage
throughout the first floor. The damage estimate to the structure and contents is approximately $30,000.

No one was injured.

The residents are being assisted through a partnership with a local North Shore hotel. They have also received an outpouring of support the homeowners received from numerous neighbors.

Fire officials say the home was equipped with working smoke detectors.

2 comments

Comments are closed.