“It was just crazy:” Shots ring out during funeral service for homicide victims near 22nd & Center

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE (WITI) -- Bullets fly outside of a funeral for two homicide victims. The service at 22nd and Center came to an abrupt halt as shots rang out just before 1 p.m. Friday afternoon.

It happened in the grassy parking lot at Morris Cathedral Life Center on the city's north side.

"People were falling down, people's children were getting knocked over," said Willie Jones, family member.

It was supposed to be a time of mourning, but it turned into chaos.

"They were saying remarks and talking about the two young men and trying to send encouraging words. Next thing you know, just rapidly, everyone started running from all directions. It was just crazy," said Elder Malcolm Hunt, member of Pastors United.

Gunfire rang out during the funeral of murder victims Damario Jones and Montrell Burdine, the victims of a double shooting that occurred Friday, May 1st near 37th and Nash.

"We knew it was outside but we weren't sure if they were going to come in the church," said Willie Jones.

No bullets entered the church but a barrage of them hit several cars in the parking lot.

Police say at least two suspects were involved in an altercation and shots were fired.

"It's a sad situation," said Hunt.

Police were dispatched to the area of 37th and Nash for a report of shots fired on the morning of May 1st. Upon arrival, an officer observed Jones lying on the grass — unresponsive. Life-saving attempts were unsuccessful, and Jones was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officers began to search the area for evidence — and they came upon Burdine, lying in the street, conscious and alert. Officials with the Milwaukee Fire Department began to treat him, and observed that he had lost a significant amount of blood. Police say Burdine had been shot in the thigh, and he eventually lost consciousness and was pronounced dead.

No one is in custody for the deaths of Burdine and Jones. An arrest warrant is out for Devon Loggins who is accused in the deaths of both men who were killed.

"We got to start addressing what we are doing to one another, it's not what the police are doing," said Willie Jones.

Elder Malcolm Hunt, a member of Pastors United, urges clergy and the community to stand up and say enough is enough -- a sentiment many also echo.

"Let's put the guns down, let's be civil and mature about this and pray about it and try to find better solutions to deal with our issues, because this ain't the way," said Willie Jones.

Police continue to look for Devon Loggins who is still on the run after last week's shooting which killed the two men and hurt three others.

As for this shooting incident, no one was injured, but there are no suspects in custody at this time.

Loggins faces the following charges:

  • first degree reckless homicide (two counts)
  • first degree recklessly endangering safety (three counts)
  • felon in possession of a firearm


Comments are closed.