MILWAUKEE -- In this week's Dining with Duria, Angelica shows us how to prepare roasted garlic hummus.
Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 1 large head of garlic (NOTE: if you’re not roasting garlic, 2-3 fresh cloves of garlic work)
- 2 ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (15 oz) can chick peas, drained
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 3 Tbsp of water
- Chopped fresh parsley, red pepper flakes and olive oil for garnish
- OPTIONAL: ½ cup pine nuts, plus extra for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut about ¼ inch from top of garlic to expose tops of cloves. Place garlic head on a sheet of foil and drizzle a little bit of olive oil over top of garlic. Wrap foil up around garlic and roast 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. (NOTE: you can skip this step if you don’t want to roast garlic and want to use fresh garlic instead.)
- In a food processor, add chick peas, lemon juice, tahini, salt, and cumin and then pulse mixture 2 minutes. Scrape down sides and bottom of food processors, and add olive oil, and water, pulse again. The add garlic gradually and keep pulsing mixture until it comes out into a smooth, creamy consistency. You can add an additional Tbsp or two of water if the hummus is too thick. (OPTIONAL: you can add the pine nuts in this step.)
- Plate hummus, make an indentation in the center and drizzle 1-2 Tbsp more olive oil to taste. Take remaining chopped garlic cloves, parsley, red pepper flakes and pine nuts and sprinkle as a garnish. Best when hummus is served refrigerated.
Baba Ghanoush (aka Roasted Eggplant Dip)
- 1 large eggplant
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp smoke paprika (optional)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick eggplant a few times with a fork, place on a baking sheet and bake for about 30-40 minutes.
- When eggplant has cooled a bit, peel off the flesh and puree insides with a food processors. Combine tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt and paprika and pulse until it’s smooth and creamy. Add maple syrup until it’s reached your desired taste.
- Plate baba ghanoush, make an indentation in the center and drizzle with olive oil and garnish with chopped parsley.