MILWAUKEE -- The hot and humid weather is tough to work outside in, but image if your job meant running into a burning building. Milwaukee firefighters do things a little differently in these conditions.
Firefighters responded to the scene of a house fire on Milwaukee's south side early Monday morning, August 17th. Flames broke out on the first floor of a home near 23rd and National around 3 a.m.
"The whole first floor was on fire -- extending up to the second floor," said Battalion Chief Jim Ley.
When crews arrived on scene they received a report from neighbors that there was a child on the second floor. Luckily, searches reveal no one was home at the time of the fire.
The fire was under control in about an hour, but extra crews had to be called in because of the heat.
"We called for extra help because the weather is very humid," said Ley. "Firefighters are working at max capacity, so they wear out very quickly."
Firefighters have 50 or 60 pounds of gear on when they battle a blaze. There is really no way for that sweat and body heat to escape unless they take some of that gear off.
"We rehab them, they take on water fluids and we take their coats off, so they can cool off and they get a 15 or 20 minute break before we put them back to work," said Ley.
They take the proper precautions, ensuring no one suffers from heat exhaustion.
"It takes a lot out of you, but that is what we train for," said Ley.
Firefighters tell FOX6 News the people who live in the home are out of town. They say the blaze may have started because of a faulty air conditioner.
They caution you not to overload your electrical circuits, and make sure everything is properly serviced.