MILWAUKEE -- It's time to get your kids in the kitchen. Author and home cook Diane Fechter can help you do that with a new children's cookbook she just published. She joined the Real Milwaukee team for a chat.
- 1 c. frozen blueberries
- ½ c. milk
- 1 (6 oz.) vanilla yogurt
- 1-2 Tbsp. honey, optional
Combine all ingredients in blender. Cover and process about 1 minute until thoroughly blended. Serves 2
Variation: Substitute frozen strawberries for blueberries.
- 1 Tbsp. dry minced onion
- 1 ½ tsp. dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp. dried dill weed
- ¾ tsp. Lawry`s seasoned salt
- ½ c. sour cream
- ½ c. mayonnaise
In a medium bowl, stir to combine all ingredients. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving with your choice of raw veggies or chips.
All you need is instant pudding, milk, and small jars. Out of different colors of construction paper, cut out 9 large jar shapes. On each one, write one of the following directions. Hide the directions. After children find them, follow directions and enjoy!
- Take a jar. Take off the lid.
- Put ¼ cup milk in jar.
- Add 1 Tbsp. instant pudding mix.
- Put the lid on the jar. Screw it tight.
- Wrap a paper towel around the jar.
- Shake the jar 50 times.
- Set the jar on the table. Leave it there 5 minutes.
- Get a spoon. Open the jar. Eat the pudding.
- Put the jar, lid and spoon in the sink. Put the towel in the waste basket.
- 6 c. frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 c. shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 c. cooked diced ham
- ¼ c. chopped green onion
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt.
Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease a 13x9 pan. Arrange potatoes in bottom. Layer cheese, ham and onion. Combine remainder of ingredients. Pour over all. Bake 350˚ uncovered 40-45 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. OR: Cover well and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw. Then bake as directed.
POLKA DOT RICE MIX
- 1 c. long grain white rice, not instant
- ¼ c. red or black quinoa
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley flakes
- 2 tsp. dried soup greens or dried celery flakes
- ½ tsp. dried minced onion
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
Place the above ingredients in a sandwich zip or clear cellophane bag, tied with raffia or ribbon. Attach the following directions and add a use by date of 4 months.
POLKA DOT RICE MIX (Directions to attach to bag)
- 2 ½ c. water
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Contents of this mix
In a saucepan bring water and butter to a boil. Add rice mix. Stir. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Serves 4.
- 1 tube (8 count; 16 oz.) jumbo flaky refrigerator biscuits
- ¼ - ½ c. pizza sauce
- 1-2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- whatever toppings you want
Preheat oven to 400˚. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pat each biscuit into a 4-inch circle on parchment paper. Spoon 1-2 tsp. sauce on each biscuit circle. Sprinkle with cheese. Add other toppings, if desired. Bake 15 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Cool 5 minutes before eating. Makes 8 pizzas.
Fun tip: Make smiley face pizzas with pepperoni or black olives.