Medical examiner identifies man found dead near 24th & Kilbourn; carbon monoxide may be to blame

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office has identified a 55-year-old man who died in his apartment near 24th and Kilbourn on Tuesday night, October 6th as John Fleming.

Death investigation near 24th and Kilbourn

Death investigation near 24th and Kilbourn

An autopsy was performed on Wednesday -- but there is no final determination as to a cause of death in this case yet, as further tests are pending.

Police say Fleming died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.

We're told Fleming was found unconscious by a family member, and responding Milwaukee Fire Department officials found high levels of carbon monoxide in the victim’s home.

Fleming’s apartment building was evacuated as a result of the high carbon monoxide levels.

It is believed Fleming died as a result of the high carbon monoxide levels, caused by a faulty stove -- but again, the final cause of death hasn't yet been determined or released.

24th and Kilbourn (55-year-old man found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning)

24th and Kilbourn (55-year-old man found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning)

No one else was injured.

This case has Milwaukee Fire Department officials reminding folks of the dangers of carbon monoxide -- especially as winter approaches.

"It does not take too much carbon monoxide at all to become extremely deadly," MFD Chief Aaron Lipski said.

Neighbors think Fleming was trying to stay warm with the heat from his stove.

"Because this time of the year, you have people that, you know, they may get cold and turn on the stove if the heat is not coming on," Lisa Wilkins said.

Wilkins lives on the first floor in the apartment building near 24th and Kilbourn. Fleming lived on the third floor.

Wilkins says she and her daughter came home Tuesday night after residents had been allowed back inside following an evacuation.

24th and Kilbourn (55-year-old man found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning)

24th and Kilbourn (55-year-old man found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning)

"She was like, 'her door was busted in,' and we didn't know why until they started explaining to us," Wilkins said. "I'm thinking 'are they going to come and check everybody's stove out? At least  coming and check everybody's stove and see what's going on."

"Unfortunately, carbon monoxide is odorless," Brian Manthey with We Energies said. "It's one of those things where you may not know that it's actually creating a health problem -- which is why carbon monoxide detectors are so important."

FOX6 News spoke with one resident who lives in that apartment building at 24th and Kilbourn who indicated she knows for sure she doesn't have a carbon monoxide detector in her apartment.

Another resident indicated he heard chirping alarms in the building on Tuesday night.

MFD and We Energies officials are encouraging everyone to make sure they have carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in their home -- and that you be sure they are functioning.

24th and Kilbourn (55-year-old man found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning)

24th and Kilbourn (55-year-old man found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning)