GERMANTOWN -- A teens first year on the road is the most dangerous, and State Farm Insurance is working to keep our first year drivers safe. The company launched a 'Celebrate My Drive' campaign and many high schools answered the call, but only 22 nationwide were award the grand prize and one of them is right here in southeastern Wisconsin.
There was more noise than normal inside Germantown High School's cafeteria on Friday, December 4th.
The school, along with State Senator Alberta Darling, was celebrating.
"This is truly exciting," said School Board President, Bob Soderberg.
After many weeks of long hours and tight deadlines, the school was awarded for their efforts.
"It is with great honor today, we congratulate your school, Germantown High School. and will hand over a $100,000 grant," said Bernie Furlong, State Farm Agent.
The check was earned after the students made a PSA, it was part of the State Farm 'Celebrate My Drive' campaign -- an initiative to ensure teens are being safe while on the road.
"That's the main concept behind the whole video is Drive 2N2 -- two eyes on the road and two hands on the wheel. That's the whole main goal of the video is to get that message out to people and I think we definitely achieved that," said Jacob Mohar, Germantown High School senior.
"It was a nonstop effort by a lot of kids, they wanted to win," said Germantown High School Principal Joel Farren.
"It was a lot of work but our school got a lot of it, it leaves a nice legacy as well," said Mohar.
22% of the money goes to safe driving initiatives within the school for the future. As for the other 78%, the school is currently sitting through a wish list from the students and teachers.