Impeachment trial of President Trump: How to watch it on TV and online with FOX6 News

Three lawmakers introducing bill to create specialty Milwaukee Bucks license plate

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE — Three Wisconsin lawmakers are introducing a new bill that would create a specialty Milwaukee Bucks license plate.

If passed, 80% of the money raised from the sale of the license plates would be used to help pay down the state’s portion of the financing for the new downtown Milwaukee Bucks arena.

The rest of the money would be given to the Milwaukee Bucks Community Foundation.

Below, you’ll see a co-sponsorship memorandum sent by Senator Devin LeMahieu (R-Oostburg), Senator Lena Taylor (D-Milwaukee) and Rep. Paul Tittl (R-Manitowoc) — seeking sponsors for this bill:

“We are introducing legislation to create a Milwaukee Bucks specialty license plate. Currently, the Bucks are the only professional sports team in our state without a license plate.

Similar to what the Legislature has done in the past for the Lambeau Field and Miller Park projects, the revenue from the Bucks license plate will go towards paying down the public debt for the new Milwaukee arena. In four years, the Brewers plate has raised over $1,000,000 to subsidize the cost of Miller Park. We believe the Bucks license plate can also make a substantial impact on the state’s contribution to the Milwaukee arena.

Under the bill, 80% of the revenue generated from the license plates will be deposited in the general fund for the purposes of reimbursing the state’s contribution to the arena. The other 20% will go to the Milwaukee Bucks Foundation, the Bucks’ local charity that focuses on giving back to their community. After the state’s debt for the Milwaukee arena is paid off, the revenue from the Bucks license plate will continue to go towards the Milwaukee Bucks Foundation. Unlike the Brewers and Packers license plates, the NBA will not be taking a portion of the revenue as a licensing fee.

This bill will lessen the burden on state taxpayers for the new arena, and allow Bucks fans, including those who live outstate and are unable to travel to games, an opportunity to support their team. The Milwaukee Bucks are supportive of this legislation.”

CLICK HERE to read the bill.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.