MILWAUKEE -- Chef Alisa Malavenda with the Art Institute of Wisconsin joins Real Milwaukee with some hot cocktail recipes that use all your favorite cold weather drinks.
Boozy S’mores Hot Chocolate
- 2 Hershey chocolate bars, plus more for garnish
- 1 ¾ C milk
- pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg
- mini marshmallows or S’mores on a stick ( see recipe below)
- 2 oz Kahlua ( you could also use tequila and a pinch of cayenne pepper) for another twist.
In a medium saucepan, break up chocolate bars and add milk, cinnamon or nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until heated through and chocolate is melted, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Kahlúa. Pour into coffee mug and top with mini marshmallows. Using a kitchen torch, torch the marshmallows until golden brown and slightly melted and/ or garnish with S’mores on a stick.
For S’mores on a stick.: Dip large marshmallows into melted chocolate and roll in crushed graham crackers. Place on skewer and serve
Mulled Winter Wine Sangria
- 1 bottle red wine
- ¼ C hibiscus syrup or substitute 1 cup hibiscus tea and ½ cup sugar
- 1 C Brandy
- ¼ C Grand Marnier
- 1 orange – sliced thin
- 1 lemon – sliced thin
- 1 lime – sliced thin
- You can even float fresh cranberries for a real winter feel
- 1cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
Place all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. Keep warm in a slow cooker on low and pour into heatproof glassware. Garnish with clove studded orange slices.
Teeth Chattering Chata Chai
- 4 oz Rum Chata
- 8 oz brewed Chai tea
- 1 T turbinado or sugar in the raw
- Steamed milk of froth with cardamom sugar
Start with cold water and brew chai tea. Steep tea for 4-5 minutes or until desired strength. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Fill heatproof glassware with 2 oz each of the Rum Chata. Add the hot steeped tea. Stir and top with steam milk or foam and a dash of cardamom sugar.
Old Fashion Bourbon Cider Toddy
- 16 oz Apple Cider
- 1 granny smith apple , sliced thin
- 1 orange , sliced thin
- 1 t. honey
- 1 oz tart cherry grenadine
- 8 oz Bourbon
- 4 oz of Triple sec
- few dash of molasses or citrus bitters
- 1 cinnamon stick, plus more for swizzle garnish
Combine apple cider, apple and orange slices, cinnamon stick, honey and grenadine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat, add bourbon and triple sec with a few dashes of bitters. Pour into heat- proof glassware or mugs and garnish with orange slice, luxardo cherries and cinnamon stick swizzle.
Italian Caffe’ Amore’
For each drink
- 1 oz of Fresh Brewed Hot Italian Roast Coffee ( use can substitute decaf)
- 1 oz of Amaretto or Frangelico
- 1 oz of Cognac
Whipped cream, slivered almonds or crushed hazelnuts for garnish
Combine all three ingredients in a heatproof glassware. Top with whipped cream and garnish with nuts.