No evidence of gunfire at Naval Medical Center San Diego, military says

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAN DIEGO — A report of a shooting at Naval Medical Center San Diego appears to be a false alarm, the military indicated Tuesday.

Investigators have found nothing to substantiate one person’s report that someone fired gunshots Tuesday morning at the San Diego facility’s Building 26, which contains barracks, a gym and administrative offices, Navy Capt. Curt Jones told reporters.

Authorities at the center’s 78-acre campus ended a shelter-in-place order at 1:45 p.m., and patient care and access resumed thereafter, the Navy said.

An investigation “determined that no evidence could be found of shots fired and there were no casualties,” the Navy said.

“The intensive and thorough search of Building 26, as well as the grounds and additional buildings on the grounds of NMCSD, did not reveal anything unusual after the initial witness report was made,” the Navy said.

One witness reported hearing three gunshots in the basement of the building — separate from the main hospital complex on campus — about 8 a.m., Navy spokesman Kevin Dixon said.

That prompted a flurry of law enforcement activity, with military and local police searching the building as other officers took up positions nearby, directing pedestrians and cars away from the building in question.

The center, in its first Facebook post on the incident, said that “all occupants are advised to run, hide or fight.”

After officers did a preliminary search, there were no reports of anyone injured, and there was no immediate evidence to suggest a gun had been fired, Jones said later in the morning.

Jones declined to say who had made the report, but characterized the person as “someone who thought they heard something and made reports.”

Further information about what the person had seen or heard wasn’t immediately available. Investigators were interviewing that person, a U.S. military official said.

Naval Medical Center San Diego bills itself as the largest military health care system in the Western United States. Situated on 78 acres surrounded by San Diego’s Balboa Park, the center has a 272-bed hospital, eight clinics for active duty personnel and nine primary care sites for their family members.

The center had more than 1.2 million outpatient visits in 2014, admitting more than 19,000 patients that year. The hospital offers a comprehensive array of medical services, including births.

Video captured by CNN affiliate KUSI showed people walking calmly from the area Tuesday morning.

Nearby restaurant Casa 1915 was keeping its doors closed as a precaution. The bistro was set to open at 10 a.m., but manager Keith Puryear said he decided to keep the business closed until the situation at the medical center ended.

Police didn’t ask him to do that; it was a decision he made on his own.

“We’re not terribly concerned at the moment,” he said, “but we’re exercising caution.”

A middle school and two high schools in the vicinity were temporarily locked down as a precaution, the San Diego Unified School District said.

8 comments

  • molon labe

    You got:
    NAVY
    MEDICAL CENTER
    ACTIVE SHOOTER
    “According to Face Book”
    WTF?
    Arm the guys that have the right to be armed and this “shooter” Crazy fk will be put down like the crzy fk he is. It’s not rocket science.

    • Fred

      My thoughts exactly!! This center treats active duty personnel. Active duty should be able to be armed……but I’m sure our President wouldn’t want armed service members to walk around a hospital, so his liberal agenda forces our Military, according to the Facebook post, to “run, hide OR fight”. WTF??? What happened to kicking ass and taking names???

      • Milwasukeewoman

        Probably due to patients in the building. One botched shot and you can accidentally kill a innocent. The naval base did give a command to run, hide, or fight if given the chance but the military trade individuals still exercise caution so that no innocents are injured or killed in the fight.

      • Fred

        Milwaukeewoman: that makes no sense to me. I understand that innocent people can get hit by a stray shot when a fight is in progress, but how many innocent lives can be lost when an active shooter IS NOT met with defensive force? Give him free reign of the place, shooting at will until he’s out of ammo? Hunt the SOB down and kill it on sight.

Comments are closed.