MILWAUKEE -- Beef for breakfast! Angela Horkan from the Wisconsin Beef Council joins FOX6 WakeUp to show us how to make saucy beef with baked eggs.
Saucy Beef with Baked Eggs
1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)2 medium jalapeño peppers, finely chopped2 tablespoons minced garlic2 tablespoons smoked paprika1 tablespoon ground cumin2 cans (15 ounces) no salt added or regular tomato sauce6 large eggs6 slices Rustic-style bread, toastedFresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Heat large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, jalapeño peppers, garlic, paprika and cumin; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce; continue to cook 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly reduced, stirring frequently.
- With back of spoon, make six indentations into sauce. Break one egg into each indentation. Place pan in oven and bake, uncovered, 16 to 17 minutes or until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard.
- Spoon beef mixture and eggs evenly over bread slices. Garnish with cilantro, as desired.
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Beef and Veggie Frittata
1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)4 small red-skinned new potatoes (about 6 ounces), cut into 6 wedges each1/2 cup water1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices1 teaspoon salt, divided1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided6 large eggs2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil3 tablespoons shredded Italian cheese blend1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine potatoes and water in 10-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from skillet; keep warm. Pour off remaining water from skillet, if necessary.
- Brown Ground Beef with onion in same skillet over medium heat 6 minutes, breaking beef up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Add zucchini. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until zucchini is just tender. Pour off drippings. Return potatoes to skillet. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix thoroughly.
- Whisk eggs, basil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. Pour evenly over beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake in 350°F oven about 18 to 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Sprinkle frittata with tomato. Cut into 4 to 6 wedges.
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness. Cook's Tip: Frittata can be prepared using a 12-inch skillet. Decrease baking time to 7 to 9 minutes or until eggs are set. Frittata will be thinner.