Aaron Siler case: Kenosha Co. D.A. says use of deadly force necessary to stop threat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KENOSHA -- Kenosha County District Attorney Robert Zapf says the use of deadly force by Kenosha police officer Pablo Torres in the death of 26-year-old Aaron Siler was necessary to stop the threat that Torres "believed" to be present.

Siler was shot and killed by Officer Torres, an 18-year veteran of the Kenosha Police Department on March 14, 2015. The shooting happened near 22nd Avenue and 56th Street in Kenosha.

Friday, March 11th FOX6 News is getting a closer look at what happened nearly one year ago as the State Department of Justice provided hundreds of photos and more than 50 videos from March 14th, 2015.

"I know you guys are looking for Aaron Siler and I know exactly where he is," said a 911 call.

Pablo Torres

Pablo Torres

The incident began just after 9:30 a.m. that Saturday, when officers attempted to arrest Siler — wanted on an active felony probation and parole warrant. Siler initiated a vehicle pursuit with officers, and after crashing his vehicle, he took off running. Officers pursued Siler on foot, and when Siler was confronted by Officer Torres, police say Siler armed himself with a weapon. Officer Torres then fired his handgun — striking and killing Siler.

In the news conference on Friday, it was revealed that Siler did not have a pipe as had been reported. Officials say he had a plastic five-gallon bucket in his hand -- and he was near a floor jack with a metal handle. This apparently happened at a body shop where Siler ended up after a foot chase.

PHOTO GALLERY

Witnesses say Siler lifted the jack up a few inches before putting it down and picking up the bucket. Torres was apparently on the front end of a car -- Siler on the other side.

Officials say Torres fired seven rounds -- six of those struck Siler.

In the end, the Kenosha County D.A. says the shooting was justified.

"It is conceivable had Officer Torres not fired his weapon when he did, Siler would have attacked. Officer Torres caused him or the civilian witnesses great bodily harm or even worse, disarmed Officer Torres and used his weapon against him and the others," said Kenosha County District Attorney, Robert Zapf.

CLICK HERE to read the investigation report in the Siler case

View photos, videos from Siler case as release by authorities

This incident occurred on Torres' first day back on patrol after another officer-involved shooting that occurred 10 days prior.

The family of Aaron Siler plans civil action in this case.

Monitor FOX6 News and FOX6Now.com for updates on this developing story.

3 comments

Comments are closed.