Tax filing deadline is Monday, April 18th; help is available
MILWAUKEE — The tax filing deadline is one month away and the Wisconsin Department of Revenue is reminding taxpayers to file their income tax returns by the deadline.
Your return must be received or postmarked by midnight on Monday, April 18. The deadline is extended this year because of the emancipation holiday in Washington, D.C. on April 15.
State officials are sharing the following tips to make the filing process easier:
- Pay your taxes online. The department offers easy online payment of your taxes on its website. Watch this short one minute video to find out how to make your payment online.
- Use our self-service options. Use links to income tax forms and instructions or find answers to common questions about preparing your tax return, tax credits and much more.
- File an extension with the IRS if you won’t make the April 18 deadline. You must request an extension from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 18 to avoid penalties. Go to the IRS website at www.irs.gov and search “extension” for more information. Taxpayers who file an extension request with the IRS automatically receive an extension from the state. Keep a copy of the IRS’ federal extension application (Form 4868) for your records.
- Get free tax help at one of more than 200 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) sites across Wisconsin. For more information, visit www.revenue.wi.gov and search “free tax help.” Call 2-1-1 to find free tax assistance sites in your area.
- Download the WI Revenue mobile app (available in the Apple and Android app stores) and watch tax assistance videos, check the status of your return or refund, find VITA sites, take action if you received an ID Verification letter, and more.
- Call customer service during off-peak hours at (608) 266-2772. Our customer service hours are 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The best time to call is Tuesday-Friday, especially in the afternoon. Our call center is the busiest on Mondays and during the lunch hour.