Wind chill advisory for Jefferson, Walworth counties until noon Sunday

New Jersey home explodes after bug-killing spray combusts; cockroaches survive

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Credit: bee32/Thinkstock

ASBURY PARK, N.J. — A roach-infested apartment has exploded in New Jersey after fumes from bug-killing spray built up and combusted, sending two adults and one child to a hospital.

A spokesman for the Asbury Park Fire Department tells the Asbury Park Press (http://on.app.com/1XxVeGb) the explosion happened Wednesday night after an occupant was spraying insecticide, got a headache and opened a window.

Garrett Giberson says the oxygen from outside combined with the fumes and a stove’s pilot light to cause the explosion.

The blast blew out the first-floor apartment’s windows, bent the front door and damaged the kitchen.

He says the three people are lucky they weren’t seriously injured.

Giberson says the home was still crawling with cockroaches when he arrived.

The American Red Cross is providing shelter for the three-story complex’s tenants.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.