MILWAUKEE -- Turn your breakfast upside down! In this week's Dining with Duria, Angelica shows us how to make upside down pineapple pancakes.
Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes
Courtesy: Grandbaby Cakes
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar, separated
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp melted butter, plus extra for griddle
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
NOTE: For Pancakes, you can also ditch most of the ingredients above and use a pre-made mix like Bisquick and follow the directions on the box. Add the cinnamon, ¼ cup of brown sugar and vanilla to that pre-made mixture.
- 1 20 oz. can of sliced pineapple (you can also cut your own pineapple to ½ inch rounds)
- Maraschino cherries
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Maple syrup (for topping)
For Cinnamon whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and ¼ cup brown sugar until well mixed. Then whisk in eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until batter just comes together. A few lumps are ok. (NOTE: skip this step if you are using Bisquick and follow directions on the box.)
- Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat and melt extra butter.
- Once hot, add one pineapple ring to griddle. Sprinkle the top of pineapple with a little of remaining brown sugar. Turn over after browned and caramelized a cit. If using maraschino cherries, add a cherry to the center of the pineapple ring.
- Pour about ¼ cup of batter over the pineapple, allowing it to go on both the outside and inside of the ring. Cook 3-4 minutes, or until bubbles form and the bottom is more sturdy, golden brown and crisp.
- Carefully flip entire pancake over, including pineapple and cherry. Cook another 2 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp on the other side.
- If you want to make cinnamon whipped cream topping: In a large bowl using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, whip heavy cream, powdered sugar and cinnamon on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Top pancakes with maple syrup and whipped cream and serve.