Authorities investigating Prince’s death found prescription opioids on him, in his home
MINNESOTA — Authorities who are investigating the death of music legend Prince found prescription opioid medication on his person and in his Minnesota home, a law enforcement official told CNN on Wednesday, April 27th.
The pills are commonly used to treat pain, and investigators have brought in the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to help with the case, the source said.
According to TMZ, Prince was addicted to Percocet for years before his death.
Multiple sources connected with the singer’s family told TMZ doctors prescribed the powerful painkiller in 2009 when Prince was suffering from hip problems. TMZ was told he had corrective surgery sometime around 2010, but by then he was hooked on the drug.
TMZ’s sources said Prince developed a sometimes debilitating dependence on Percocet in the years that followed.
On April 15th, Prince’s plane had to make an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois following Prince’s show on April 14th in Atlanta.
TMZ reported Prince suffered a Percocet overdose and had to be given a “save shot” at the airport.
According to TMZ, Prince had to be carried off the plane by his bodyguard. He was then put in an ambulance and rushed to the hospital.
His publicist, Yvette Noel-Schure, later said he returned home and was fine.
This happened six days before Prince’s death on April 21st at his home near Paisley Park, Minnesota.
TMZ has reported that in their investigation into Prince’s death, police have interviewed two of Prince’s younger siblings who claimed Prince abused Percocet and cocaine and they feared he’d “die young.”
Mike Padden, an attorney who represented Prince’s half-sister Lorna and stepbrother Duane in the early 2000s told TMZ both Lorna and Duane separately told him Prince regularly abused the drugs.
Duane died in 2011 and Lorna passed in 2006, so Padden’s information is not up to date, according to TMZ.
Another very close family member — who was in touch with Prince ’til the end — told TMZ Prince had used those drugs (Percocet and cocaine) for many years.
But TMZ has also apparently spoken with people who were around Prince during the last few years of his life who claim they saw no evidence of drug use, and that he was a “health nut.”
The investigation into Prince’s death is ongoing. He was 57 years old.
He was found unresponsive in an elevator at Paisley Park, his home and studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota, on Thursday. Paramedics performed CPR but were unable to revive him.
Investigators are still awaiting results of autopsy and toxicology tests for further understanding of why Prince died.
The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office in Ramsey, Minnesota, performed the autopsy on the much-loved musician on Friday. Dr. A. Quinn Strobl finished the procedure in four hours, according to the office, but Strobl won’t declare what caused Prince’s death until after the office gathers all the relevant details. That will take weeks.
The last time Prince was seen alive was at 8 p.m. Wednesday when he was dropped off at Paisley Park.
TMZ reported that on the night before his death, Prince was seen at a pharmacy in Minnesota — and TMZ reported it was the fourth time Prince had visited in the week leading up to his death.
TMZ obtained a photo of Prince leaving a Walgreens near his home in Minnesota Wednesday night, April 20th at around 7:00 p.m.: