Sarah Palin will work to defeat Paul Ryan in primary for Trump stance

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Paul Ryan and Paul Nehlen

WASHINGTON — Sarah Palin will work to defeat House Speaker Paul Ryan by backing his primary opponent in Wisconsin, the former Alaska governor told CNN’s Jake Tapper.

Palin said in an interview that airs Sunday on “State of the Union” that her decision was sparked by Ryan’s bombshell announcement to Tapper last week that he wasn’t yet ready to support Donald Trump, the Republican presumptive nominee. Palin endorsed Trump back in January.

“I think Paul Ryan is soon to be ‘Cantored,’ as in Eric Cantor,” Palin said, referring to the former Republican House majority leader who was ousted in a shocking upset in 2014 when challenger Dave Brat ran to his right in a Virginia primary.

“His political career is over but for a miracle because he has so disrespected the will of the people, and as the leader of the GOP, the convention, certainly he is to remain neutral, and for him to already come out and say who he will not support is not a wise decision of his,” Palin continued.

Ryan’s announcement highlighted a deepening rift in the party over Trump, as several party elders have vowed to skip the GOP convention in July and not vote for the real estate magnate, while others say they’ll back Trump out of party loyalty and a desire to block Hillary Clinton from reaching the White House.

Palin speculated that Ryan’s announcement was driven out by a desire to seek the White House in 2020.

“If the GOP were to win now, that wouldn’t bode well for his chances in 2020, and that’s what he’s shooting for,” Palin said.

Ryan, who has repeatedly ruled out a 2016 bid, has not publicly commented on whether he’ll seek the White House in 2020. But he told CNN’s Dana Bash in October that if he were to ever seek the presidency, 2016 would have been his year to do so.

Ryan’s primary opponent, Paul Nehlen, endorsed Trump soon after Ryan’s announcement last week. Palin told Tapper that although she hasn’t yet informed Nehlen that she’s endorsing him, “I will do whatever I can for Paul Nehlen.”

“This man is a hard-working guy, so in touch with the people,” Palin said. “Paul Ryan and his ilk, their problem is they have become so disconnected by the people whom they are elected to represent.”

She added: “They feel so threatened at this point that their power, their prestige, their purse will be adversely affected by the change that is coming with Trump and with someone like Paul Nehlen, that they’re not thinking straight right now.”

8 comments

  • Thomas Roberts

    What a turn coat. Given the chance of a life time she turn her back on the man that gave her a chance to be somthing. So glad she has no support among any group of voters

  • Peanut

    “His political career is over” hilarious thing for her to say, good thing her opinions hold no sway here.

  • grunt

    I used to like Sarah Palin.
    I still think she is more qualified than Barack Hussien Obama to be President.
    I didn’t like how the elite liberal media treated her & her family. I didn’t like how the hypocrite feminists treated her.
    I even liked her show about Alaska.
    I am disappointed how she has shown she really shouldn’t be taken seriously anymore.

    • Sara

      Looks like she became the elite. Paul Ryan is one of us and now she’s using whatever power she can to silence him. No respect left for her.

  • Glen PIerce

    Love it. So true. As for Trump becoming Presidential, I hope that he only does it 40%. I want the other 60% personality to kick in the doors of the elite Rep/Sen lawyers and foreign country thugs. Just reading today’s Sunday paper, I see many thugs as heads of a country that we have to deal with. Thugs who want the US money aid. Take a test yourself. Open the newspaper. How many thugs can you identify?

    Cuba, Syria, Palestine, Russia, Iran, China, North Korea …. tell me more. And then there are the incompetent countries like Afganistan, Iraq, etc who have mini-thugs.

    And the US is suppose to worry that the Donald will say something to make the thugs angry at us? Give me a break.
    Trump and his staff will know how to handle terrible people.

    Enough of Kerry, Obama and Hillary.

Comments are closed.