Former Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz said Tuesday he is not ruling out getting back into the race if a path to victory were to re-open.
“Well, I am not holding my breath. My assumption is that will not happen,” Cruz told conservative talk show host Glenn Beck, hours before voters in West Virginia and Nebraska head to the polls.
“But listen, let’s be very clear … we launched this campaign intending to win. The reason we suspended the race last week is with Indiana’s loss, I didn’t see a viable path to victory. If that changes, we will certainly respond accordingly,” the Texas senator said.
Cruz didn’t elaborate on what he meant by “respond accordingly.”
Cruz also said he wasn’t yet ready to endorse Donald Trump, echoing comments made to CNN’s Jake Tapper last week by House Speaker Paul Ryan.
“This is a choice every voter is going to have to make … It’s not a choice we as the voters have to make today,” Cruz said.
Looking forward, Cruz said, “We need to watch and see what the candidates say and do.”
Cruz suspended his campaign last week after losing the Indiana primary handily to Trump. Cruz on Tuesday blamed media executives and their primary coverage for the rise of Trump.
“We are about to see that same ferocious fury now turn against Donald” in favor of likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, Cruz said.