MILWAUKEE -- The weather is getting warmer which means it’s time to fire up the grill! Meijer dietitian and healthy living advisor Maribel Alchin joins FOX6 WakeUp with some healthy recipes for summer.
Madras Curry Chicken Sticks with Yogurt-Cucumber Raita
1 pound True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Chicken Breast, cut into 1 ½-inch cubes
2 (5.3 ounce) containers Meijer plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Curry Powder
1 tablespoon Meijer reduced sodium soy sauce
8-inch wooden skewers
Nonstick cooking spray
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
1 red onion, small, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
2 (5.3 ounce) container Meijer plain Greek yogurt
½ cup cucumber, chopped
2 tablespoons red onion, minced
2 tablespoons fresh mint
Salt and pepper to taste
1. For the curry chicken sticks: Place chicken cubes in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For the marinade, in a small bowl combine 2 (5.3 ounce) containers yogurt, curry powder and soy sauce. Pour over chicken in bag. Seal bag; turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours, turning bag occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent them from burning.
3. Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium (300 to 350°F). Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. On 8-inch skewers, alternately thread chicken cubes, bell peppers and onion.
4. Place skewers on grill. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes or to desired doneness, turning several times.
5. Meanwhile, for the yogurt-cucumber raita: In a small bowl combine 2 (5.3 ounce) container yogurt, cucumber, onion, mint, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
6. Remove skewers from heat and transfer to a platter. Serve with yogurt-cucumber raita.
Source: Adapted from www.meijer.com/ahealthieryou
Nutrition Information (per serving): 274 calories, 4g fat, 1g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 45g protein
Serve with Barley, Lentil & Split Pea Salad and Fresh Fruit Tray from Meijer produce department.
Barley, Lentil, & Split Pea Salad
1 cup Meijer Naturals barley, peas & lentil mix, rinsed
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ½ cups True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Vegetable Broth
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ crumbled Feta Cheese
1/4 cup diced red onion*
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Red Wine Vinegar Dressing:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp. True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Extra Virgin Olive Oil
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Place barley mix, bay leaves, garlic and broth in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes or until broth is absorbed and tender.
2. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes in covered saucepan. Discard bay leaves.
3. In a large bowl, combine barley mixture, tomato, feta, onion, and cilantro.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Pour dressing over barley mixture and stir to coat with dressing.
Source: Maribel Alchin, MBA, RD, LDN, Meijer Healthy Living Advisor, Registered Dietitian, Personal Chef
Time-saving tip: Pick up pre-cut onion in the Meijer produce department.
Nutritional Information (per 1 cup serving): 231 calories, 10g fat, 2g saturated fat, 11mg cholesterol, 644mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 9g protein
For more recipes visit www.meijer.com/truegoodness