WEST ALLIS -- The Wisconsin State Fair will be here before you know it -- and so will the Great American SPAM Championship. The Great American SPAM Championship is an annual recipe contest held at 26 state and county fairs, including the 2016 Wisconsin State Fair.
Current champ, Lisa Dziadulewicz from Sheboygan, joins FOX6 WakeUp to share her latest dish.
Lisa won the 2015 SPAM recipe contest at the Wisconsin State Fair and went on to win the grand prize, an all-expense paid trip to the Waikiki SPAM JAM Festival.
Lisa will showcase Mahalo Cup (like a lettuce wrap but with cabbage)and crispy SPAM, vegetables and pineapple -- it combines savory and sweet flavor, which is this year’s SPAM recipe contest theme.
SPAM Mahalo Cups
- 1/3 cup HOUSE OF TSANG® Hoisin Sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated gingerroot
- 1 (12-ounce) can SPAM® Classic (or any variety), diced
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup black sesame seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons cooking oil, divided
- 1 cup red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large head green cabbage, separate into 6-8 cabbage leaves (cups) and then shred the remaining cabbage
- 1 cup chopped fresh or canned pineapple
In medium bowl, combine hoisin sauce, cornstarch, garlic and ginger. Add diced SPAM® Classic; stir to coat. In shallow dish, combine macadamia nuts and sesame seeds. Add SPAM® Classic; toss to coat. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of oil; sauté SPAM® Classic until golden and a little crunchy; set aside in bowl. In same skillet, add second teaspoon oil; sauté peppers, onion and shredded cabbage. Add pineapple; toss to combine. Spoon vegetable/pineapple mixture into cabbage cups; add SPAM® mixture. Serve warm or cold. Serves 4 to 6. ©Hormel Foods (Recipe adapted from Paula Wyse Kindred; Featured by Lisa Dziadulewicz 6/1/16)