GREENFIELD -- A trip to McDonald's nearly ended in tragedy after a woman began choking on her food -- and lost consciousness. Luckily, help arrived quickly, and two strangers are now being called heroes.
Brian Tabbert, a We Energies worker, was at the right place at the right time on Saturday, June 4th.
"I was at the McDonalds on a routine call for a damaged meter," Tabbert said.
He soon noticed something was wrong.
"I heard some screaming and commotion," Tabbert said.
A woman was choking. Laying in the median, she had stopped breathing. Tabbert rushed to her side.
"I tried to dislodge the food and that didn`t work," Tabbert said.
As a trained first responder for We Energies, Tabbert began CPR.
Anna Campion was driving by and jumped in to help as well.
"I saw him doing compressions on her, so I ran over, checked for a pulse. She didn`t have one. He continued compressions," Campion said.
It just so happened Campion was headed home after a 12-hour shift as a nurse.
"So I was the pulse person, listening for breathing," Campion said.
Another nurse also joined the scene and helped out before emergency crews could arrive.
"She got a pulse back and tried sitting up and she was talking," Campion said.
"Ironically, there was not much for us to do when we got there," Greenfield Fire Chief Jon Cohn said.
On Wednesday, June 8th, these heroes were honored by the Greenfield Fire Department.
"We really need the public's help to get these great outcomes," Cohn said.
While those who stepped in said the recognition wasn't needed, first responders say their work to save a life deserves this attention.
"It just seemed like that's what you were supposed to do," Tabbert said.
"I was just doing what I would do for anybody," Campion said.
Officials with the Greenfield Fire Department say in cases like this, minutes matter. They encourage everyone to learn CPR so that if something like this happens -- you can step in and help.