Officials have recovered the body of the two-year-old boy pulled into a lagoon by an alligator at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. Crews had been searching for hours after the boy disappeared Tuesday night.
One local family is watching the aftermath of the tragedy without the separation of thousands of miles. The Menomonee Falls family, vacationing in Disney World right now with a two-year-old of their own, spoke with FOX6 News about watching the tragedy unfold.
"We saw a helicopter overhead with a search light on and my husband made a comment to me, 'Oh, that's strange you know we've been here multiple times and I've never seen anything like that before," said Jenny McCarthy, vacationing in Florida.
The McCarthy family from Menomonee Falls, was just leaving Disney's Magic Kingdom Tuesday night after the fireworks display, when Jenny, her husband and their two-year-old son Harrison got back to their hotel.
"My sister called me and I thought oh that's strange she knows we're on vacation it's late. She was worried about us and just wanting to make sure we were OK because all she had heard was that a two-year-old child got pulled into the lagoon by an alligator," said McCarthy.
Harrison and the McCarthy's were OK.
In a different part of the park, at the Seven Seas Lagoon, Orange County officials say an alligator grabbed a two-year-old boy from Nebraska, and dragged him into the lagoon as his father desperately tried to save him.
"It's completely terrifying. My husband and I, neither of us slept well last night because I mean we've walked around that lagoon before and it's just scary to think it really could have happened to anybody," said said McCarthy.
McCarthy says her thoughts and prayers go out to the family. She says as they continue their time in Florida, they are being a little extra cautious and extra aware -- especially of little Harrison.