Live: 7th day of protests in Milwaukee began near Cathedral Square
Hub for reliable, timely news about COVID-19 pandemic

Milwaukee Burger King fire likely caused by discarded cigarette

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE — The Milwaukee Fire Department has confirmed the cause of the fire at the Burger King restaurant near 85th and Brown Deer on May 20th, is officially undetermined — but officials say it is strongly suggested a discarded cigarette is to blame.

Officials responded to the restaurant around 2:45 p.m., on May 20th for a report of a fire that started in the back of the restaurant.


On Friday, June 24th authorities determined the fire caused $463,000 in damage to the restaurant — this is the actual replacement value of the building. The fire also caused $218,000 in damage to the contents of the restaurant.

The fire department believes this was an accidental fire, as there is nothing to indicate it was intentionally set.

No other details have been released.

1 Comment

  • Andrew

    I was thinking early on that this fire may have been caused by careless use of smoking materials when they said the call originally came in as a trash fire in the back of the restaurant. Either someone was smoking outside and tossed a cigarette in the trash or disregarded the state law and was smoking inside. Sad to see the business destroyed despite what the cause was.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.