MILWAUKEE -- Sometimes, Brussels sprouts get a bad rap. But, in this week's Dining with Duria, Angelic has a salad that might make you change your tune.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 lb (roughly 2 dozen) brussels sprouts, stems removed and finely shredded
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped (can also use almonds or walnuts)
- 1 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese, grated
- 1 medium granny smith apple, diced
Ingredients for the vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar (can also use cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 medium/large lemon
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Trim the ends off the brussels sprouts. Using a sharp knife, mandolin slicer or food processors, slice each sprout into thin strips. Or you can buy a bag of shredded sprouts!
- Combine apples and brussels sprout in large bowl and set aside.
- Toast the nuts in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until lightly browned (about 2 minutes). Add to the Brussels sprouts mixture and toss.
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a jar or bowl. Shake until well-combined. Pour over the Brussels sprouts mixture and toss and coat. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Chill until ready to serve.