LIVE: Police respond to active shooter in Miller Valley; sources say 6-7 people ‘down’

35-year-old Kenosha man, who pleaded guilty after hours-long standoff, sentenced to probation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KENOSHA COUNTY — 35-year-old David Leasure of Kenosha, who, in June, pleaded guilty to one felony charge in connection with a February 2016 standoff in Kenosha has been sentenced.

David Leasure

David Leasure

Leasure on Thursday, July 28th was sentenced to serve three years probation, with 168 days of conditional jail time — with credit for 168 days served.

He must pay court costs and $500 restitution.

The standoff lasted hours in the neighborhood near 35th and Roosevelt in Kenosha in early February.

According to police, the standoff started around 11:00 p.m. Friday, February 12th when officers were dispatched to the area for a shots fired call. Leasure’s landlord told police his wife “heard a big bang” and she came running into the bedroom. When the landlord went to see what had happened, “he saw a silver-dollar-sized hole in his ceiling and a quarter-sized hole in his ceiling fan.” A bullet head was found on the floor of his dining room.

The complaint indicates Leasure came downstairs from his apartment to make sure the landlord and his wife were okay. The complaint says Leasure “made up a story about putting firecrackers in a cylinder to make the blast go down which is what made the hole in the ceiling.” The landlord at that point told Leasure to leave because he knew “he was lying.”

Standoff in Kenosha

Later, Leasure apparently came back downstairs and told the landlord and his wife “that he had a .45 caliber gun, he had been talking to his ex-wife, that he had been drinking and that the gun accidentally went off.” The landlord called police “because he could tell that the defendant was getting agitated” and he could smell alcohol on his breath.

When Kenosha police first arrived on the scene, they asked Leasure to come out of the residence unarmed, but he refused. Leasure was “making suicidal statements and threatened to blow the place up.” That’s when the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department Tactical Response Team took over.

Over the next several hours, officials had contact with Leasure several times. Leasure yelled profanities and threatened to “wipe them out” — referring to the officers on site.

Kenosha standoff

During the standoff, multiple rounds of tear gas were launched into the residence to get to get Leasure to evacuate. Then, just before 7:30 a.m. on Saturday Leasure “went out of the rear door of the residence and left the gun unloaded on the rear lower landing.” Leasure was arrested — and officials executed a search warrant at his residence. Evidence collected included “empty or full magazines for rifles and pistols and a considerable amount of ammunition, all .45 caliber.” However, no other firearms were located in the residence.

Google Map for coordinates 42.568844 by -87.850773.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.