KARBALA, Iraq — ISIS has claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing that killed at least 15 people and injured 16 others at a wedding Sunday in the Iraqi city of Karbala.
A statement released by the ISIS-affiliated Amaq news agency said four suicide attackers targeted “a Shiite gathering.”
Iraqi authorities said there were five would-be suicide bombers, and that security members killed four.
The attacker who targeted the wedding sprayed the crowd with automatic gunfire and threw hand grenades before detonating his suicide vest, officials said.
Karbala is about 100 kilometers (62 miles) southwest of Baghdad and is one of the holiest cities for Shiite Muslims.
Another wedding attack
ISIS is also the prime suspect in an attack at a Turkish wedding on August 20 that killed 54 people, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said. But no group has claimed responsibility.
The pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party condemned the blast. The wedding was for one of its members.
ISIS is believed to have extensive cells throughout Turkey. Citing Turkish security sources, the Anadolu news agency reported last month that 5,300 suspected ISIS members had been detained in Turkey.