MILWAUKEE -- It's slow cooker season! Angela Horkan with the Wisconsin Beef Council joins FOX6 WakeUp to share her recipe for Italian Beef Sandwiches.
- 3 pound Beef Chuck Roast, boneless
- 1 cup beef stock (low salt, if you can find it)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup pepperoncini peppers
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini juice (optional, see note)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (0.6 oz) package of Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional, see note)
- 1 - 16 oz. jar giardiniera mix, drained
- 8 soft Italian rolls
- Mozzarella cheese, optional
In the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker combine the beef stock, garlic, pepperoncini peppers, and pepperoncini juice (if using).
Heat a heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until the oil is hot. Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper on both sides. Add it to the hot skillet and brown for about two minutes on all sides. Then transfer to the slow cooker and sprinkle with Italian Seasoning.
With the heat still on the skillet, add the red wine and using a wooden spoon, pull up the pan drippings. After about 30 seconds, add the liquid from the pan to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours.