MILWAUKEE -- If you love take out, but don't love all the extra carbs and calories, Angelica has a recipe for you. In this week's Dining with Duria, Angelica makes an almost guilt-free fried rice from cauliflower.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 head of cauliflower (or you can buy the bag of cauliflower rice at Trader Joes)
- 1 tbsp. of sesame oil (or more to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 8 oz. beef, chicken, pork, shrimp or tofu – cut up into pieces
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup frozen peas (or corn or any veggie for that matter)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp of soy sauce (or more to taste)
- OPTIONAL: ½ tsp fish sauce and ½ tsp rice vinegar
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Break down a head of cauliflower in a food processor until it’s the size of rice. Or skip this step by buying a bag of “cauliflower rice” is Trader Joes.
- Heat sesame oil over high heat in a wok or large pan. Add garlic and onion fry until fragrant.
- Add the beef/chicken/pork/shrimp/tofu and cook until about 80% done.
- Add carrots, other veggies and cauliflower and cook until about veggies start to get soft. Then add soy sauce (fish sauce & rice vinegar optional) and stir.
- Push ingredients to the side of the pan to create a well. Pour in the 2 whisked eggs and scramble eggs in pan. Once the eggs are cooked, fold into the cauliflower rice.
- Season with salt & pepper and garnish with chopped green onions.