DHS announces #HopeActLiveWI campaign; effort to combat opioid crisis
MADISON — The Wisconsin Department of Health Services announced on Thursday, November 10th the creation of the #HopeActLiveWI campaign. Officials say there’s hope that the death and disability from the misuse and abuse of opioids can be reduced through actions everyone can take to save lives.
Hope: Five steps to protect health and safety.
- Talk with a health care professional about other ways to manage pain
- Never take opioids in greater amounts or more often than prescribed
- Avoid taking opioids with other drugs, including alcohol
- Store opioids in a secure place and out of the reach of others
- Dispose of unused opioids at a medication drop box(link is external)
Act: Four steps to limit the impact of addiction and overdoses on individuals, families, and communities.
- Learn the signs of misuse and abuse
- Recognize the signs of an overdose
- Call 911 immediately in the event of an overdose
- Learn how to use naloxone to respond to an overdose (PDF, 440 KB)
Live: Two steps to create a path toward wellness.