President-elect Donald Trump postpones news conference until January
NEW YORK — Donald Trump has decided to postpone his first press conference as President-elect until January, two transition sources confirmed to CNN.
The press conference, previously scheduled for Thursday, had been advertised as an opportunity for him to address his plan for dealing with potential conflicts of interest stemming from his businesses. It was to be his first press conference since July.
“The announcement has been rescheduled for next month,” said President-elect Trump spokesperson Hope Hicks.
One transition official said the postponement is largely because of the transition’s focus on personnel, but also underscores the complexities facing President-elect Trump lawyers as they try to figure this whole thing out. “This isn’t exactly easy stuff,” the official said of the process.
But President-elect Trump’s critics saw the decision as an attempt to avoid scrutiny from the press.
“Trump is blatant in his disrespect for democratic norms and his contempt for transparency,” tweeted John Cassidy, a writer for The New Yorker, noting that Mr. Trump’s first press conference would now not come until after next week’s Electoral College vote.
The postponement was first reported by Bloomberg News.
The president-elect tweeted on November 30th that he would hold a “major news conference” with his children on New York City this coming Thursday.
In subsequent tweets, President-elect Trump said he would use the time to discuss “the fact that I will be leaving my … great business in total order” to focus on the presidency, which he called “a far more important task.”