Milwaukee man charged after 1-year-old found dead in home; 3-year-old hurt

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Tamio Shipman-Allen

MILWAUKEE -- A 21-year-old Milwaukee man criminally charged -- accused of killing his girlfriend's 14-month-old daughter and severely abusing a three-year-old boy, made his first court appearance Friday, June 9th.

Tamio Shipman-Allen is facing the following charges:

  • First degree reckless homicide
  • Physical abuse of a child, recklessly causing bodily harm
  • Child neglect (bodily harm)
  • Physical abuse of a child (Intentional causation of bodily harm)

    Tamio Shipman-Allen

In court Friday, after Shipman-Allen glanced at our FOX6 cameras, he appeared to ask a deputy to get out of the spotlight. When it was clear that would not happen, he spent the remainder of his court appearance with his head down.

Tamio Shipman-Allen

Tamio Shipman-Allen

"I don't know how I'm supposed to feel. I'm angry. For number one, because he didn't have to do what he done to my great grand baby," said Janice Jones-Banks, victim's great grandmother.

The family of the children are devastated. A large group was in court Friday, hoping to see justice for the two children.

Janice Jones-Banks

"I don't care if they kill him to be honest," said Jones-Banks.

According to the criminal complaint, officers were dispatched a home near 38th and Villard on Sunday, June 4th. Upon arrival, police found a one-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy suffering from “physical injuries.”

The one-year-old girl has been identified as Tamiya Dotson. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

The medical examiner concluded that Dotson's injuries were caused by significant blunt force trauma -- and the manner of death was ruled a homicide.

Police investigate death of one-year-old near 38th and Villard

The three-year-old boy was transported to Children's Hospital of Wisconsin with physical injuries that are "indicative of inflicted trauma and child physical abuse," according to the criminal complaint.

According to the criminal complaint, on the morning of June 4th the mother of the children left her home at 8 a.m. and went to work -- leaving the two children in the care of Shipman-Allen. Around noon, the mother says she received several phone calls from Shipman-Allen -- who reported that Tamiya was shaking as if she was having a seizure. The mother immediately left work and returned home.

Tamiya Dotson

When she arrived home, Shipman-Allen allegedly refused to allow her in the home, saying she did not want to "go in there."

The Milwaukee Fire Department and Milwaukee Police Department arrived on scene shortly thereafter. Tamiya was pronounced deceased on scene. The three-year-old boy was transferred by ambulance to Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin.

After interviewing the mother, detectives interviewed a neighbor. The neighbor claims to have "heard sounds of abuse from inside the residence" since the family moved in over a month ago. The neighbor indicated that the sounds "typically occur when the woman is gone and a man is watching the children."

Police investigate death of one-year-old near 38th and Villard

According to the complaint, the neighbor further stated "It sounds as if the man in the unit is slamming the children to the floor." A week prior, the neighbor claims to have heard the mother arrive home and say "what happened to my (expletive) baby?" The male voice allegedly responded, "he fell."

Tamio Shipman-Allen

On June 4th detectives conducted an interview with Shipman-Allen, during which he admitted to "snatching" the three-year-old boy up by the shirt a few times and smacking him in the head. He also admitted to "whipping" the boy with a belt in the past.

Further, Shipman-Allen admitted to throwing Tamiya down to the floor on June 4th and stomping on her abdomen.

The complaint indicates that Shipman-Allen did not immediately called 911. Instead, he began calling the mother of the children repeatedly until she answered the phone.

Shipman-Allen's bail was set at $150,000.

Some good news, the little boy who was harmed is out of the hospital and recovering at home.