MILWAUKEE -- Whether you need a dish to pass for a party or are just looking to satisfy your sweet tooth -- you can do it with a little less guilt. Heather Ferber of Better Health by Heather joins Real Milwaukee with some "healthy-ish" holiday treats.
Healthy-ish Dark Chocolate Holiday Bark
• 9 ounces dark chocolate (70% cacoa or greater)
• 1 cup mixed nuts (your favorite raw/roasted combinations)
• ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
• ¼ cup crushed candy cane
• ¼ cup freeze dried crushed raspberries
• ¼ cup goji berries
• sea salt
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium pan, over very, very low heat on the stove, melt the chocolate. Continually stir so the chocolate does not burn
3. Scatter nuts, coconut flakes, crushed candy cane, crush raspberries and goji berries on the baking sheet
4. Transfer the melted chocolate to the prepared baking sheet and spread into thin layer.
5. Quickly sprinkle a few pieces of nuts, coconut, candy cane, raspberry and goji berry on top.
6. Sprinkle a hint of sea salt on top as well.
7. Allow chocolate to cool and harden completely before breaking into small pieces.
** If the chocolate is more on the bitter side, you can always add a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it up a bit. Other fun ingredients you can experiment with include sunflower, chia and flax seeds or dried fruit pieces of any flavor. Be creative!
Healthy-ish Puppy Chow
• 3 ounces dark chocolate (70% cacoa or greater)
• ¼ cup peanut butter (or another nut butter)
• ¼ cup honey
• 1 tablespoon coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 5 cups favorite multi-grain square cereal
• ¼ cup raw turbinado sugar
1. In a medium bowl, over very low, low heat, on the stove, melt the chocolate, peanut butter, honey and coconut oil. Continually stir so the chocolate mixture does not burn. Don`t overheat!
2. Once the mixture is melted, stir in the vanilla extract.
3. Pour the 5 cups of cereal into a large mixing bowl.
4. Add the chocolate mixture to the cereal and mix gently until the chocolate coats all the cereal.
5. Lay the mixture out, in a single layer, on a baking pan with parchment paper.
6. Add sprinkles of raw turbinado sugar and allow to dry.
7. Try not to devour in one sitting!