Check vote totals in the August primary election 🇺🇸

Prosecutors: Menomonee Falls Verizon robbery suspect wanted for nearly 2 years in Milwaukee shooting case

Jaquan Johnson

MENOMONEE FALLS — A man suspected of robbing a cellphone store and then leading police on a chase on Friday, January 5th was in court Monday, January 8th. Prosecutors in Waukesha County said during Monday’s hearing that 22-year-old Jaquan Johnson had been wanted for nearly 2 years; he missed a court date in Milwaukee in a shooting case. It now appears he’ll be in custody for some time.

Johnson was arrested Friday after a chase ended in a crash on Milwaukee’s north side. Police said they were pursuing a possible suspect in an armed robbery earlier that night at the Verizon store near Pilgrim Rd. and Silver Spring Dr. in Menomonee Falls.

According to the criminal complaint, Johnson entered the store with a handgun and told a worker “give me the iPhones.” He took off with 16 phones. GPS tracking devices in the stolen goods led West Allis police to a parking lot near 108th and Oklahoma. When they tried to stop Johnson, he took off, leading police on a chase that ended when he crashed at 19th and Hampton.

“He then continued to flee on foot before finally being taken into custody,” said John Woodson, who represented the Waukesha County District Attorney’s Office at Monday’s initial appearance.

Chase ends in crash near 19th and Hampton

Chase ends in crash near 19th and Hampton

Police identified the driver as Johnson and in court Monday the district attorney’s office cited a 2015 shooting in Milwaukee. Johnson was charged with firing into a building following an argument, wounding one woman.

Jaquan Johnson

“In those matters, the defendant failed to appear in court on March 4th, 2016 and a warrant has been open since then,” Woodson said.

The public defender asked for an affordable bail for Johnson.

“He is now living with his fiancée. He has one child who is 2 years old. He is responsible for having to pay child support,” said David Herring, Johnson’s public defender.

In the end, the court commissioner granted the district attorney’s office’s request of $50,000 bond. If convicted in both the shooting and armed robbery, Johnson faces a maximum combined sentence of more than 60 years in prison. He’ll next be in court in the armed robbery case on February 9th for his preliminary hearing.