RACINE -- Nearly two months after he was shot to death, the family of Donte Shannon continues to demand justice. On Monday, March 5, Shannon's family went straight to the Racine County District Attorney's Office.
Nakia Shannon and his family gathered outside of D.A. Patricia Hanson's office -- desperately eager to hear if a charging decision had been made in the officer-involved shooting death of his son, Donte.
"We want some answers," said Nakia Shannon. "She promised us something and we want it."
According to a federal civil lawsuit filed by Shannon's family, Officer Chad Stillman and Officer Peter Boeck, who were wearing plain clothes and were in an unmarked vehicle, opened fire on the Donte Shannon, 26, striking him multiple times after he ran from a traffic stop.
"We feel he was murdered," said Karen Simpson, a great aunt.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice concluded its investigation and it is now in the hands of D.A. Hanson. While Hanson remained tight-lipped with the media Monday, Nakia Shannon said the D.A. did offer some insight.
"She's not done. She said she needs more time. She's waiting on a couple of more reports. She finally got the autopsy report this morning," Shannon said.
Shannon said he will remain persistent.
"My family can't move on until we get what we need," Shannon said.
Shannon said he will keep on the pressure as he seeks transparency and accountability -- not just for his son, but others who were killed similarly nationwide.
"Protocol needs to be changed, training," Shannon said. "It's time we stand up and start making a change -- because our race and our young men are dying consistently and nobody is never being charged."
Shannon said D.A. Hanson told him she will complete the review by March 13. For now, he is hoping that timeline holds true -- and justice will be served.