MILWAUKEE -- May is National Burger Month! Angela Horkan with the Wisconsin Beef Council joins FOX6 WakeUp with a new dish.
Tuscan Burgers & Avocado-Tomato Spread
- 1 pound Ground Beef (95% lean)
- 1 Fresh California Avocado, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns, split
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh fennel bulb (core removed)
Mash avocado in small bowl (should be chunky, not smooth). Add sun-dried tomatoes and half of garlic; mix well. Set aside.
Combine beef, remaining garlic, 2 tablespoons minced basil leaves and salt in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place patties in skillet; cook 10 to 12 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove patties from skillet. Place buns, cut side down in skillet, cook 1 minute or until lightly toasted.
Place burgers on bottom of buns; top each with equal amounts avocado-tomato spread, fennel and remaining basil leaves. Close sandwiches.