Hub for reliable, timely news about COVID-19 pandemic

Racine officer facing criminal charges collects $160K while on paid leave for more than 2 years

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

Brinelle Nabors

RACINE — A Racine police officer has been on paid leave since 2015, when he was accused of using excessive force on a Washington Park High School student. A civil rights case against him has been settled, and a jury trial is scheduled to begin on Aug. 28.

The allegations against Brinelle Nabors are disturbing. The officer hasn't worked in more than two years, but it's reported he's collected more than $100,000 during his paid leave.

Prosecutors say on Nov. 20, 2015, Nabors and another officer were informed a 14-year-old student brought a mixture of drugs or alcohol in a bottle to Washington Park High School. The officer reported the student resisted when questioned, and was taken to the ground. He was escorted away in handcuffs.

A civil rights lawsuit against the City of Racine in 2016 alleged Officer Nabors punched the student in the face while also slamming him against a wall of lockers twice. The officer alleged the student was making threatening motions toward him. The city settled for $400,000.

Washington Park High School Racine

The Journal Times reports Officer Nabors has collected $160,000 since being placed on leave in December of 2015.

The Racine Police and Fire Commission has delayed a hearing for Nabors at the recommendation of the U.S. Department of Justice. The reason is to avoid any overlaps in the multiple investigation against the officer.

Meanwhile, in May of 2018, criminal charges related to the incident were filed against the officer.

He faces one count of misconduct in office/act/excess authority, battery and disorderly conduct. An attorney representing him couldn't be reached for comment.

Washington Park High School Racine

FOX6 made several attempts to reach the Racine Police and Fire Commission for comment, but their spokesman could not be reached.

Nabors will be back in court on Aug. 24 for a final pre-trial hearing.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.