Flash flood watch for most of SE Wisconsin through 7 a.m. Saturday

Sammie Miller sentenced to life in prison for killing Audrey Scott in July 2017

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RACINE -- Sammie Miller, the man convicted of the execution style killing of Audrey Scott in July 2017, was sentenced in a Racine County courtroom on Friday, July 27 to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

After being convicted of first degree intentional homicide, Miller knew his sentence would be a mandatory life in prison -- but the question was would he be eligible for extended supervision.

He asked the judge for it after the mandatory 20 years. But that's not what the victim's family wanted.

"You know (expletive) well you killed her," Audrey Scott's aunt said.

An outburst from victim's aunt got her thrown out of court.

"Shut up. You better shut. I'll beat your (expletive) up in here," Audrey Scott's aunt said.

Miller, 29, was found guilty on May 9 of the following criminal charges:

  • First degree intentional homicide, use of a dangerous weapon
  • Possession of a firearm by a felon

According to the criminal complaint, Miller was the boyfriend of Scott and on the night of July 3, 2017, Miller “became jealous” because he saw Scott dancing at a tavern with another person who he mistook for a male. An argument between Miller and the second person “became physical” — and the two were ejected from the tavern. Scott remained inside. That was the last time Scott was seen — and she was wearing denim shorts and a Green Bay Packers jersey with the #12.

Audrey Scott

It wasn’t until July 14 that police were told of Scott’s disappearance. Investigators spoke with a relative of Miller who said a friend of Miller’s “came to the house to take away two of the defendant’s guns. She also said that she found some shoes of the defendant’s that were bloody.” By that time, the relative had heard rumors that the defendant had killed Scott. The complaint says “she decided to wash the blood off the shoes. She then had the shoes burned in the fire pit in the yard.” Police later recovered shoe remnants from the fire pit.

The relative also told police on the morning of July 4 or 5, Miller awakened her and “told her that he needed the keys to her Yukon. The next morning the Yukon was back and the defendant told her that he had just cleaned it.”

Detectives later spoke with a friend of Miller’s. The friend indicated on the morning of July 4, “he began getting numerous phone contacts from the defendant.” Miller came to the friend’s residence around 4 a.m. and he got into the Yukon with Miller, who was driving. The complaint indicates the friend saw Scott “in the front passenger seat, badly beaten.”

According to the criminal complaint, Miller drove to a “secluded location,” parked on the side of the road, removed Scott from the car and took her into the woods. The friend followed — and “heard a shot.” The friend told police he “saw the defendant pointing a handgun at (Scott) and pulling the trigger, but the gun did not fire after that first shot and appeared out of ammunition.” The friend told investigators he asked Miller why he did it, and “the defendant said that he did not want to go back to prison.”

The complaint says the friend later led detectives in a police car to the wooded area where the shooting took place — near Apple Holler in Yorkville. Detectives found the skeletal remains of a body” — later identified as Scott.

"He marches her in the woods while she pleads with her not to kill her for the safe of her kids," Prosecutor Michael Lonski said. "And he has the cold bloodedness and heartlessly to go ahead and do that."

The judge made her decision.

"I am sentencing you to life imprisonment without the possibility of extended supervision," Judge Faye Flancher said.

"My baby's gone and she's not coming home," Audrey Scott's mother, Carrie Scott-Haney said. "But he's not going home to anyone either."

Miller was deemed a danger to society. He was on extended supervision for another homicide when he killed Scott.

In court on Friday, he still denied killing Scott.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.