Balloons released to celebrate 5-year-old fire victim’s release from hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MILWAUKEE -- Family and friends of a 5-year-old fire victim are celebrated her amazing recovery Saturday, Aug. 11. The group released balloons in honor of the little girl's release from the hospital.

Diamond Wise was finally able to go home on Thursday, Aug. 9 after spending 30 days at Children's Hospital. There were moments when her family didn't know if she would make it, but she proved everyone wrong.

Diamond Wise

Wearing "Team Diamond" shirts and holding pink and purple balloons, family and friends celebrate the self-proclaimed "diva" of Saturday's party at McGovern Park.

While the wounds on her face and arms are still visible, Wise isn't letting her injuries keep her down. She suffered second-degree burns, carbon monoxide poisoning and brain damage when a fire broke out at a relative's home near 41st and Sheridan on July 4. Emergency crews found Diamond unresponsive and alone in an upstairs bedroom.

Fire near 41st and Sheridan

Diamond Wise

"My cousin had the lighter, he flicked it, he dropped it and then firefighters came and got me," said Wise.

Diamond was placed in the ICU for several days, then at the two-week mark, her mom and grandma say she suddenly began to improve.

"For me it was hard but after I found out how she was doing and recovering, I got relieved," said Sarah Wise, Diamond's grandmother.

"They gave her three months to be in the hospital and she did it in one. It shows a lot and tells a lot," said Sierra Wise, Diamond's mother.

A little girl with a lot of fight left in her and loved ones who aren't taking for granted the life that was almost taken from them.

"A lot of people do balloons for people that passed away and got RIP shirts. A lot of people don't encourage and do good for people who survive. And I feel it's a big thing. My baby could have been gone and we could have had our RIP shirts but we got survivor shirts," said Sierra.

Diamond has also lost some of her ability to see and must continue with physical therapy and treatment for her burns. Her mom says doctors are hopeful she'll make a full recovery.


Diamond Wise

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.