MILWAUKEE -- Angela Horkan with the Wisconsin Beef Council joins FOX6 WakeUp to prepare beef tenderloin, cranberry and pear salad.
Farmer's Market Vegetable, Beef & Brown Rice Salad
- 1 beef Top Round Steak, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups asparagus pieces (2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 cup diced, seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steak and 1/4 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight. Reserve remaining marinade in refrigerator for dressing.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning once. Remove; keep warm.
Cook's Tip: To grill, place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, times remain the same) for medium rare (145°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add asparagus and squash; cook and stir 7 to 8 minutes or until tender. Toss with rice, tomatoes, beans, basil, salt and reserved marinade in large bowl.
- Carve steak into thin slices. Serve over rice salad.Recipe and photo as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt