MILWAUKEE — Members of Milwaukee’s Youth Council are asking the community for a ceasefire during the Labor Day holiday weekend. After a violent August, with 19 homicides, they encouraged other Milwaukee youth to come together.
“This month of August, the headlines have been pretty crazy. It’s making our stomachs ache. In history, the movements that have happened and the change that have been made, it’s the young people to do it,” said Kalan Haywood, Milwaukee Youth Council.
The Milwaukee Youth Council used their voices on Friday, Aug. 31 to send a message of peace and solidarity to their peers.
“In order for us to break these cycles of trauma, protecting our youth should be and must be our priority,” said Joya Headily, Milwaukee Youth Council.
A majority of the victims of Milwaukee’s 19 homicides in 31 days in August were young people.
“I’m calling out for a call to action for the City of Milwaukee for the Labor Day weekend,” said Erica Lofton, Milwaukee Youth Council.
Youth Council members also called for a new approach to end gun violence, asking the youth of the city to come together and join their cause.
“I feel that this is our time for people who don’t know how to get connected; who don’t have a voice. We are the voice of our youth,” said Emoni Toliver, president of the Milwaukee Youth Council.
“So to my peers, the ones out here every day, be the change,” Haywood said.
Below is a listing of the fatal shootings in Milwaukee in August:
- 104th and Jonen, Wednesday, Aug. 1, 11:50 a.m., man killed
- 19th and Fond du Lac, Wednesday, Aug. 1, 5:30 p.m., 24-year-old man, 26-year-old man hurt
- 7th and Keefe, Monday, Aug. 6, 3:15 p.m., Man in his early 20s killed
- 5th and Center, Monday, Aug. 6, 9:30 p.m., 40-year-old man killed
- Swing Park near Holton and Brady, Monday, Aug. 6, 11 p.m., 22-year-old man and 17-year-old boy killed
- 58th and Townsend, Tuesday, Aug. 7, 11:30 p.m., 18-year-old man killed
- 35th and Clarke, Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2 p.m., 23-year-old woman killed
- 26th and Capitol, Thursday, Aug. 9, 9:45 p.m., 41-year-old man killed, 47-year-old man and 48-year-old man injured
- 76th and Melvina, Sunday, Aug. 12, 2 a.m., man killed – found unconscious in yard
- 20th and Hopkins, Sunday, Aug. 12, in the evening – 40-year-old man killed
- 10th and Burleigh, Sunday, Aug. 12, at night – Man killed, child hurt – MFD said it was a triple shooting
- 6th and Center, Wednesday, Aug. 15, 3 p.m., brothers killed
- 37th and Oklahoma, Saturday, Aug. 18, 8:30 p.m., 21 year old allegedly killed by his father
- 30th and Vine, Monday, Aug. 20, 5:20 a.m. woman shot and killed
- 15th and Clarke, Friday, Aug. 24, 7:00 a.m. man shot and killed
- 87th and Lancaster, Saturday, Aug. 25, 11:30 p.m., 31-year-old man shot and killed
- 32nd and Brown, Sunday, August 26 2:30pm., 25-year-old man shot and killed